Community groups were invited to present on community safety.
Commissioner Mayor Clark reported that the Pleasant Hill Community Association was not in receipt of its invitation and therefore had not submitted a request to speak at this meeting.
Presentations were made by the following:
• Caswell Community Association –Lenore Swystun , Chair of Civic Committee and Ian Roach, Head of the Caswell Community Patrol presented with respect to the work of the patrol groups and property crime and addictions.
• Montgomery Place Community Association – Barb Biddle, President presented noting the connections with the community need to be strengthened. She expressed concern with respect to the number of liaison officers in the community and response to crime.
• Saskatoon Crisis Intervention Service – Rita Field, Executive Director discussed the use of the service and its current challenges.
• Saskatoon Community Clinic – Lisa Clatney, Executive Director, discussed the challenges of the clinic and its staff related to mental health issues, increased drug use and homelessness.
• Mount Royal Community Association – Jan More, Police Liaison & Citizen Patrol Coordinator discussed the community’s concerns with respect to the tunnels or pedestrian underpasses, which allow for five access points to the community. She provided a drawing of the community showing the barrier strip area and asked that access points be restricted for certain hours of the day.
It was noted a request to present had been received from the Saskatoon Tribal Council; however, a representative was not in attendance.